Improvements to the Windows Server Operating System
In addition to new functionality, Windows Server 2008 provides powerful improvements to the base operating system over Windows Server 2003. Notable improvements include those to networking, advanced security features, remote application access, centralized server role management, performance and reliability monitoring tools, failover clustering, deployment, and the file system. These improvements and many others help organizations maximize the flexibility, availability, and control of their servers.
Benefits of Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 delivers benefits in four primary areas:
Windows Server 2008 gives you the ability to deliver rich web-based experiences efficiently and effectively, with improved administration and diagnostics, development and application tools, and lower infrastructure costs.
- Simplified Web server management with Internet Information Services 7.0, which is a powerful Web platform for applications and services. This modular platform provides a simplified, task-based management interface, greater cross-site control, security enhancements, and integrated health management for Web services.
- Task based interface simplifies common management Web server tasks.
- Cross-site copy allows you to easily copy Web site settings across multiple Web servers without additional configuration.
- Delegated administration of applications and sites so you can give control to different parts of the Web server to those who need it.
Deliver flexible and comprehensive applications that connect users to each other and their data, enabling them to visualize, share, and act on information.
With its built-in server virtualization technology, Windows Server 2008 enables you to reduce costs, increase hardware utilization, optimize your infrastructure, and improve server availability.
- Built-in virtualization to virtualize multiple operating systems—Windows, Linux and others—on a single server. With virtualization built into the operating system and with simpler, more flexible licensing policies, it's now easier than ever to take advantage of all the benefits and cost savings of virtualization.
- Centralized application access and seamless integration of remotely published applications. Improvements also add the ability to connect to remote applications across firewalls and without the use of a VPN, so you can quickly respond to the needs of your users, regardless of their location.
- New deployments options to provide the most suitable method for your environment.
- Interoperability with your existing environment.
- Robust and vibrant technical community to provide a rich experience throughout the product life cycle.
Windows Server 2008 is the most secure Windows Server ever. Its hardened operating system and security innovations, including Network Access Protection, Federated Rights Management, and Read-Only Domain Controller, provide unprecedented levels of protection for your network, your data, and your business.
- Protection of your server with security innovations that reduce attack surface area of the kernel, resulting in a more robust and secure server environment.
- Protection of your network access with Network Access Protection that gives you the power to isolate computers that don't comply with security policies you set. The ability to enforce security requirements is a powerful means of protecting your network.
- Enhanced solutions for intelligent rules and policies creation to increase control and protection over networking functions, allowing you to have a policy-driven network.
- Protection of your data to ensure it can only be accessed by users with the correct security context, and to make it available when hardware failures occur.
- Protection against malicious software with User Account Control with a new authentication architecture.
4. Solid Foundation for Business Workloads
Windows Server 2008 is the most flexible and robust Windows Server operating system to date. With new technologies and features such as Server Core, PowerShell, Windows Deployment Services, and enhanced networking and clustering technologies, Windows Server 2008 provides you the most versatile and reliable Windows platform for all of your workload and application requirements.
- Increased dependability with advanced reliability enhancements to reduce loss of access, work, time, data, and control.
- Simplified management of your IT infrastructure by using new tools that provide a one-stop interface for server configuration and monitoring, as well as the ability to automate routine tasks.
- Streamlined installation and management of Windows Server 2008 by installing only the roles and features you need. The customization of the server configuration simplifies ongoing maintenance by minimizing the attack surface area and reducing the need for software updates.
- Effectively pinpointing and resolving trouble spots with powerful diagnostic tools that give you ongoing visibility into your server environment, both physical and virtual.
- Increased control over servers located in remote locations, such as the branch office. With optimized server administration and data replication, you can provide users with better service while reducing management headaches.
Try it now! Click here to download a trial
Buy Microsoft Server 2008 licences here.