Windows Server 2012 Editions
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter is designed for highly virtualised private cloud environments.
Windows Server 2012 Standard is designed for physical or minimally virtualised environments.
- Both Windows Server 2012 Datacenter and Standard are differentiated only by virtualisation rights - two virtual instances for Standard edition and unlimited virtual instances for Datacenter edition.
- Windows Server 2012 Datacenter and Standard editions also have a consistent processor-based licensing model that covers up to two physical processors on a server.
- Windows Server 2012 Datacenter and Standard editions will require Windows Server 2012 CALs for every user or device accessing a server.
Windows Server 2012 Essentials is ideal for small business that have as many as 25 users and 50 devices.
Windows Server 2012 Foundation provides a Windows Server experience for as many as 15 users.
- Both Windows Server 2012 Essentials and Foundation editions remain on server-based licensing; Foundation is for single processor servers and Essentials is for either one or two processor servers.
- CALs are not required for access for either Foundation or Essentials editions; Foundation comes with 15 user accounts and Essentials comes with 25 user accounts.
Whether you're an enterprise, a small or medium-sized business, or a hosting provider, Windows Server 2012 delivers high-quality solutions on top of single-platform functionality. It's the world's first cloud-optimised server operating system and delivers more than 300 new features and enhancements.
Windows Server 2012 delivers a complete virtualisation platform for a dynamic data center and cloud infrastructure, where workloads, networks and storage become more flexible, increasing agility.
- Simultaneous live migrations: provides the flexibility to move multiple VMs around without limitation.
- Share-nothing live migration: provides the ability to migrate, with no downtime, a VM from one Hyper-V host to another that isn’t part of the same cluster or sharing storage, via just an Ethernet connection to the first VM.
The power of many servers with the simplicity of one
Windows Server 2012 is designed for IT pros to optimise for the cloud while satisfying business needs faster and more efficiently by providing a highly available, easy-to-manage, multi-server platform with the following benefits:
- Flexible storage to offer diverse storage options that deliver performance, efficiency and innovation while taking advantage of industry-standard hardware.
- Continuous availability to provide cost-effective, highly available services, with protection against a wide range of failure scenarios.
Every app on any cloud
Windows Server 2012 is a proven application and web platform that includes thousands of applications already built and deployed. It offers the flexibility to build infrastructure across premises on an open, and scalable web and application platform. Windows Server 2012 is:
- Flexible to enable hybrid and symmetrical applications across the datacenter and the cloud.
- Scalable and elastic to provide frameworks, services and tools to increase scalability and elasticity for multitenant-aware applications and websites.
The modern work style, enabled
Windows Server 2012 empowers IT to provide users with flexible access to data and applications virtually anywhere, on popular devices. It also simplifies management and improves data security, control and compliance. Windows Server 2012 offers the following benefits to IT pros and end users:
- Access from virtually anywhere, any device, with easier, on-demand access to a virtualised work environment, including from branch locations and public connectivity services.
- Full Windows experience anywhere, with a personalised and rich user experience on popular devices, while adapting to different network conditions quickly and responsively.
- Enhanced data security and compliance, where central audit and access policies enable fine control to data and corporate resources based on strong identity, data classification, and simplified administration for remote access.